I know, I know! Finding a great DJ is a lot of trouble!
As an event planner, myself, I know how difficult it can be to book the right artist.
I once watched a group of 3 "DJs" fight over the turntables and microphone for an hour straight because *THEY* wanted to play the next song. Meanwhile, all three were playing terrible music for the crowd, massaging their egos while the organizers massaged their temples.
Okay, this is an extreme example, but you get the idea.
The problem is feeling confident that you made a quality purchase. There's so much information asymmetry out there and lots of low quality acts get away with misrepresenting themselves or ignoring the needs of the client, while still getting paid!
Luckily, there are DJs out there who are high quality and can prove it. Great Private Event DJs weave accountability to quality of service and commitment to customer needs into their music selection process.
By using my services as an example, this page seeks to educate you, the DJ-seeking event organizer, on how to navigate your purchase of a DJ to feel more confident that your party or event is going to get the best music treatment possible!
Its simple: Less stress, more joy
My approach to helping you with your event
I aim to relieve you, the event organizer, of as much stress around the musical entertainment as possible. With every client, I conduct a simple, yet thorough, research process that identifies your event attendees' musical needs, while taking up as little time as possible on your end. (Check out more on this and my 120% guarantee, below)
Oh and by the way...
I have extensive experience in event planning. Upon booking, you will have access to all my contact information, not only to communicate about DJing, but also if you want to run a marketing idea by me. I specialize in online and experiential promotion / marketing and additionally know countless event vendors in the Boston area. Ask me anything! (Resume, below)
Think of what you're actually buying and let it guide you.
- It's not really to have someone fade from track to track, really smoothly (you know robots can do that, now!).
- The DJ's job is to simplify your life and improve the quality of your event. They must be flexible, responsive, prepared and helpful!
Ask whether they do song requests. If you can, try asking on the phone. Their response is a huge clue for how "me-centric" vs. "client-centric" the DJ operates. If they seem frustrated by the question, they're less likely to be helpful, professional and responsive.
Available Services For Your Event
- Live DJing (2 hr - 8+ hr)
- MCing / Mics Included
- Sound Equipment Included*
- In House Capacity: Indoor, 100-2500** people | Outdoor 100-1500** people
- Third Party Capacity: Indoor, 2500+ people, Outdoor 1500+ people
- Lighting Equipment offered through third party vendor partners.
- Know what the DJ can and can't do by making your needs known as early as possible.
- Also know where your money is actually going. Is the DJ providing equipment and other services him/herself or through a third party. If they don't make it known, ask. The hiring process might be more complicated than you realize, at first, making it difficult to plan your use of time as an event approaches.
What This service *ISN'T*
- Able to provide extensive lighting set-ups (We have limited, simple solutions, but focus on the music. Also, we welcome emails regarding referrals to other services that DO have this capacity!)
- About my personal music tastes. (It's about filling your guests with joy, fun and social connection to one another!)
- A DJ or event vendor that is upfront about what they *CAN'T* provide is likely more dependable when it comes to the things they *CAN* do. Ask!
- The less clarity a vendor offers in service capacity, the more time you spend trying to figure it out. Seek options that don't waste your time!
How do I create the right musical experience for you?
- We begin with a phone call. I'll clarify a number of details about the crowd and the venue.
- I'll send you a customized song request form, to be sent out to your event organizers via email, text, or whichever way you prefer. (I recommend asking any DJ to do this for you, by the way!)
- I receive the results automatically and use the requests and my call with you to formulate a perfect playlist that actually reflects the needs of your group!
- As mentioned before, if your DJ isn't willing to cater to your musical taste, including preparing thoroughly and being flexible, they might not be the best choice.
- Don't be afraid to ask for a lot when it comes to music selection. That's what you're paying for, after all.
My 120% Service and music quality guarantee
If I fail in doing this OR if you are unhappy with the musical selection...
I not only refund you but also pay you 20% of the value on top as an apology for wasting your time.
- Trust and accountability to quality can be difficult to overcome in the event industry. It's your DJ's responsibility to answer the question "How do I know I'll be happy with my purchase."
- A guarantee like this points service that is likely of high quality. Why would a vendor make this guarantee if they weren't confident they can do great work for you?
What is my actual experience?
Some Notable Past Events and Clients
- The Biennial Harvard / Yale at Toad's Place Party | Produced and DJed | November 2014, 2016
- Harvard Athletic Marketing | The Official Harvard / Yale Fan Zone | November 2016
- The City of Medford and Snappy Patties | Medford Halloween Block Party | October 2016, October 2015
- Alpha Epsilon Pi Northeastern | "Jews Cruise" Charity Cruise | Spring 2014, 2015, 2016 (Returning in 2017!)
- Wellesley College SBOG | Remix Party | Fall 2014, 2015
- Wellesley Senior Class | Senior Ball | Spring 2016
- Harvard College In Asia Program | Prom | January 2015, 2016, 2017
- Harvard College Consulting Group | End of Spring Ball & End of Winter Ball| Spring and Winter 2016
- Harvard Summer School | All White Roof Party | Summer 2016
- Wellesley TZE | White Party | February 2016
- Wellesley ZA | Winter Semiformal | December 2015
- Green T Enterprises Promotional Company | Various (Resident DJ) | 2014 - Present
- The List Nightlife | Various (Resident DJ) | 2014 - 2016
- Naga Nightclub | Resident DJ | 2014 - 2016
- Prime Nightclub | Resident DJ | 2014 - 2015